Plan for year ahead

After a good planning session last month we now have an initial plan for the season ahead. The notes are below:

Meeting Sunday 14th January

Present:
Bryan, Kirsty, Richard, Joe, Aileen, Renie, Helen, Waltraud, Barry, Peter, Pin, Alys, Rosemary, Sue + 4 children

Minutes:

This season working party dates

February 4th
March 4th
April TBC
May 6th
June 2nd – preparation for the big lunch
June 3rd BIG LUNCH
July 1st

Dates for felling

It was decided that dates of weekends would be set for felling and emailed out to volunteers to obtain who is available.
RICHARD to email out weekend dates and schedule volunteer

Administration
It was discussed that help was needed with the maintaining of emails and some administration within the group, thank you to everyone who has helped so far. Renie has volunteered to help with administration.
KIRSTY to show RENIE how to maintain emails and both to work in administration together.

Upcoming and whats happening

  • Firepit : the firepit needs finalising in design, formers to be build and logs to be made as permanent structure.
  • Benches: we will need to be contacting NRW and arrange collection of large logs to turn into benches, these will then need splitting and siting.
  • Boundary at the top of the woodland: The boundary at the top of the woodland will need clearing and replacing with post and rail.
    RENIE to contact contractors to obtain price and availability, include Usk College to use as a training session.
  • Hedge planting- this will need to be arranged after the post and rail installation
  • Monmouth Flood Works – Atkins are assessing the flood scheme within monmouth and will be looking at the woodland
    BRYAN attending meeting
  • Fruit Trees – we have been offered 10 fruit trees from Transition Monmouth, we will look at planting these on the border of Claypatch and Ridgeway to create a small community orchard. We will need to talk to residence to inform them what is going on.
  • Gate at the bottom of the woods- a new post is to be ordered for the gate at the bottom of the woodland via MCC
    RICHARD to arrange post
  • Bins – HELEN to speak to Sue Perkinson about obtaining new bins for rubbish and dog poo. It was also discussed that a central drop bin for dog poo should be instated in the middle of the woodland to increase convenience and hope to tackle the poo situation.
  • Money – we do have some funding left and it was discussed about installing a wild flower meadow on the edge of the field, we need to find a way of boundary marking until it is established, ideas welcome.
  • Volunteers – it has been discussed that we are only reaching out to a few people within wyesham and it would be great to get the older community involved within the project. It has been mentioned that they do not feel they can come along because it’s a family affair, we need to break down this stigma Everyone to talk to people, get the project known about and invite people along to join us.
  • Big Garden Bird Watch- it was suggested we may wish to get involved with this. KIRSTY to obtain information and research what is involved.

Next planning meeting 6th February 7pm at the woodland stores. (Any changes will be announced on the facebook page and via email)

Advertisements

Planning Meeting – Tuesday 10th October

A great day was had by all today, with training, clearing firebreaks, marking up trees for felling, litter picking, crafts for the kids and marshmallows by the campfire. Thank you to the volunteers!

We are holding another planning meeting this Tuesday, 10th October at 7.30pm – all are welcome. Venue to be confirmed but will either be the Woodland View shop or Mayhill Pub.

If you are unable to attend but would like any issues raising please just let us know.

Update from Planning Meeting 26/09/2017

Present – Richard Garner, Kirk Hill, Bryan Miller, Daphne Evans, Grace Line, Joe Atkinson, Kirsty Garner

Apologies – Rosemary Hughes, Steve Vickers, Gail & Andy Raynor, Kelly Jackson-Graham
Rosemary is happy to volunteer, Steve has expressed that the cubs (age 8-11) are interested in being involved.
1.       Update – Richard
The path resurfacing work is due to commence 27/09/2017 – notices are up on the woodland gates. Two tenders were received and the contract was awarded to D&M landscaping. The cost is approx £15,000 which is funded by the section 106 grant money (will be released by MCC).
·         Bryan is preparing an application for a grant from the Town Council for equipment and tools.
·         Need to speak to residents who back onto the woods about the felling programme and whether they have any concerns/requests. Please can all those who are happy to help with this let us know.
2.       Plans for winter/spring
·         Felling to commence in November. Signs will be needed for the gates/noticeboards (Kirsty)
·         Chainsaw insurance should be in place for January next year.
·         We hope to recoup a small amount of money to the project by selling the felled wood. Once the felling begins (November onwards) we need to ensure that collection is arranged. There are three potential contractors but if anyone has any suggestions please let us know.
·         Once volunteers are trained, we should be able to run more frequent/informal sessions for felling over the winter, as availability allows.
·         Removal of tree stumps in pond area (Richard to contact contractors on school to progress this– Interserve)
·         Removal of hedge on road boundary to be replaced by post and rail fence. Funding is still available through the s21 grant (Richard to liaise with Monmouthshire County Council). In spring the woodland project will progress with hedge planting.
3.       Activities for working party Sunday 8th October
·         Marking trees for felling programme – Richard, Joe, Kirk, Bryan. Use orange spray for those to be felled by MCC and yellow for those to be felled by the working parties.
·         Clearing fire breaks (Richard to check whether tools are available).
·         Litter Picking
·         Craft for kids – campfire and toasting marshmallows. Some autumn themed crafts (depending who is available to assist) such as leaf mobiles/garlands that can be left up in the woods, leaf rubbings etc.
4.       Activities for working party in November
·         Training volunteers for tree felling and commencing this work
5.       Dog Fouling/Litter/fly tipping/damage
·         Dog Fouling seems to have got worse recently. Various solutions were proposed, including signage, red card scheme and a central bin which would require volunteers to empty into the top and bottom bins on a regular basis. Richard to contact Sue Parkinson, MCC, regarding red card scheme.
·         There have been reports of residents leaving green waste from their gardens in the woodland. Potential for a Community Composting scheme was discussed. Bryan to ask Transition Monmouth if anything local.
·         Potential to involve the school in designing posters regarding litter and dog fouling.
·         Recognised that local children would like to be able to have some mountain bike trails/jumps and there have been issues with paths being dug up etc. Richard has asked for a feasibility study into a small trail to focus this activity, this would need to involve the local children who use the woods.
6.       Woodland Name
The voting so far has indicated that Claypatch Woods and Wild Woods are the preferred names. As the previous primary  school were involved in planting the woodland, it would be great to involve them in naming the woodland. This could be through the school council. Grace to contact the school

Path Resurfacing

Work commenced today (27th September 2017) on resurfacing the paths around the woodland.

Some paths will be unavailable whilst this is ongoing, but the woodland will remain open. Users of the woodland are asked to adhere to any safety signage and directions from workers on site.

If you have any queries please contact communitywoodlandproject@gmail.com or 01600 460 102

Planning Meeting – September 2017

We are holding a planning meeting to agree the programme of work for the next few months next week, all welcome.

The meeting will be at 7.30pm, Tuesday 26th September, Woodland View Community Room, Wyesham.

There is WiFi in the building so if anyone is unable to attend but would like to be involved through facebook messenger, just let us know!

Also if you are unable to attend but have any questions or suggestions we will be happy to discuss and feed back.

Invitation to tender for path surfacing works

 

Transition Monmouth with Wyesham community woodland project, invite any path surfacing contractors to tender for the attached brief.
The deadline for submissions is the 13th August 2017.
All details should be covered within the brief, however if you have any queries please don’t hesitate to contact us

NB: to download a copy of the plan, please right click on the ‘plan’ link below and select ‘save target as’.

Path Surfacing works brief 2017b

plan

 

Path surfacing work Plan 2017

 

 

Community event a success

On Sunday 18th June 2017, Wyesham Community Woodland Project held its annual Big Lunch. The Big Lunch is the UK’s annual get-together for neighbours – a day where neighbours and members of communities can stop what they’re doing and come together for the simple act of sharing a meal. It is part of the Great Get Together, inspired by Jo Cox, who was killed on 16 June last year, and whose ‘more in common’ values resonated throughout her work.

The event was a great success, with local residents of all ages coming along to join in with the activities, which included face painting (thanks to Monmouthshire Youth Service, pioneering (thanks to 1st Wyesham Cubs) willow weaving and other crafts, and delicious home made cakes. Dens were built, trees were climbed and hammocks were lounged in.

Thanks to the organisations and volunteers who made the event possible, including Monmouthshire Youth Service, 1st Wyesham Cubs, Transition Monmouth, the Eden Project.

In 2014 the project won a S106 grant for £21,000 from Monmouthshire County Council. The majority of this will be used to resurface the paths with the remainder going towards a pond, benches and hedge management. Since then the brief for these works have been put together and now agreed by all parties and can be put out to tender, once a satisfactory quote is received the funds will be released by Monmouthshire County Council. If any local contractors wish to provide a quote please get in touch.

Working party days are held on the first Sunday of every month and all are welcome. More information about the project is available here, and regular updates are posted on our public facebook group ‘Wyesham Community Woodland Project’. Alternatively we are happy to be contacted via email communitywoodlandproject@gmail.com or telephone 01600460102.